Peter Ballantyne Cree Nation renews call for help after two recent homicides
Following two recent deaths, Peter Ballantyne Cree Nation is again speaking publicly about the level of violence facing Pelican Narrows, with Chief Peter Beatty saying the community needs more long-term support and the RCMP saying it is deploying specialized resources and examining new policing models for the area.
The body of 16-year-old Jay’siiah Webb-Long, who had been reported missing from Ontario, was recently found by RCMP. Jaden Custer, 26, was killed May 21.
“The recent deaths of Jay’siiah and Jaden have deepened the grief and fear that many in Pelican Narrows are already carrying. These losses come amid ongoing and serious violence in the community, including multiple drive-by shootings in recent weeks, Molotov cocktails thrown at a home, and numerous firearms and bear spray incidents. One shooting injured two people. Another shattered the windows of a home,” PBCN said in a statement posted on social media.
Beatty said Pelican Narrows is facing an unusually high level of violence and drug activity for a community its size. “We have a community of just over 2,000 and we are dealing with issues much larger centres deal with,” he said. “People are living with fear and anxiety, and it is affecting everyday life.”


